Francis Joseph Guevara Escudero or Chiz was born on October 10, 1969.
Chiz studied at the University of the Philippines Diliman from kindergarten to college. He also obtained his law degree from UP.
In 1994, he passed the Philippine Bar and later received a master’s degree in International and Comparative Law at Georgetown University in 1996.
While practicing law and as a law professor, he entered politics in 1998. At 28, he was elected Representative of the First District of Sorsogon. He became Assistant Majority Floor Leader in 1998.
He was re-elected twice (in 2001 and in 2004), and was House Minority Floor Leader from 2004 to 2007.
The national popularity of Chiz translated to his big win in the 2007 senatorial elections, where he garnered the second highest number of votes.
In 2007, he headed the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights, Joint Oversight Committee on Ecological Solid Waste Management Act, Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Clean Air Act
and Committee on Environment and Natural Resources.
Chiz has earned several distinctions, including the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines in 2005, in recognition of his selfless dedication as a youth leader.
In 2007, he was the only Filipino named as Asia News Network’s Asia’s Idols. He has also been honored by the prestigious World Economic Forum as a Young Global Leader of 2008 in recognition of his professional accomplishments, commitment to society and potential to contribute to shaping the future of the world.
Chiz has consistently led surveys as among the most trusted officials of the country, with high approval ratings.
MASTERS IN INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER, WASHINGTON D.C.
1995 TO 1996
ADMITTED | 1994
BACHELOR OF LAWS | UP COLLEGE OF LAW | 1989 TO 1993
BA POLITICAL SCIENCE | 1985 TO 1989
UP INTEGRATED SCHOOL | 1981 TO 1985
UP INTEGRATED SCHOOL | 1975 TO 1981
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
REPRESENTATIVE, FIRST DISTRICT OF SORSOGON
1998 TO 2007
HOUSE MINORITY FLOOR LEADER | 2004 TO 2007
HOUSE ASSISTANT MAJORITY FLOOR LEADER | 1998 TO 2001
- TOP CONGRESSMAN | PILLARS OF THE NEW REPUBLIC | 1999 TO 2001
- TOYM AWARDEE FOR YOUTH LEADERSHIP | 2000
- LEGISLATOR OF THE YEAR | PHILIPPINE MEDIA RESEARCHAND PROGRESS REPORT, INC. | SEPTEMBER 2000
- OUTSTANDING PUBLIC SERVANT OF THE YEAR | NATIONAL MEDIA STATISTICS RESEARCH NEWS PUBLICATION | 2000
- MOST OUTSTANDING CONGRESSMAN OF THE YEAR |PHILIPPINE YOUTH ASSOCIATION FOR PUBLIC AFFAIRS | 2002
- YOUTH ACHIEVER IN THE GOVERNMENT SECTOR |DEVELOPMENT OF THE FILIPINO YOUTH | JUNE 1999
- MOST OUTSTANDING SOLON | LEAGUE OF PRESSASSOCIATIONS OF THE PHILIPPINES | 1998 TO 2000
SENATE OF THE PHILIPPINES
2007 TO PRESENT
- BANKS, FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND CURRENCIES | 2011 to 2012; PRESENT
- ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES | 2012 TO 2013; 2015-2016
- FINANCE | 2013 TO 2015
- JUSTICE AND HUMAN RIGHTS | 2007 TO 2013
- WAYS AND MEANS | 2007 TO 2010
- NATIONAL DEFENSE AND SECURITY | 2010
- JUDICIAL BAR AND COUNCIL | 2007 TO 2010
- SENATE ELECTORAL TRIBUNAL | 2007 TO 2010
- ROTARY GOLDEN WHEEL AWARD FOR POLITICALGOVERNANCE AND LEGISLATION | 2012
- MOST ADMIRED TV PERSONALITY | ANAK TV SEAL | 2008
- YOUNG GLOBAL LEADER | WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM | 2008
- ASIA’S IDOL | ASIA NEWS NETWORK | 2007